Woodworking is a fine craft that few can perfect. Keith Crawford, of Keith Crawford Designs, has mastered it. While he loves commission work on big projects, he also loves creating small household goods that are designed to last. As a Portage Park local, we love having his unique work at Collectiv. From a charcuterie board with a 100-year-old history to candle holders that make for the perfect gift, come in and check out his work sometime! But first, learn more about this artist in Keith’s Q&A.
1) What makes your company unique?
There’s a big gap between store bought furniture and handmade furniture that keeps widening. My pieces take longer than going out and running to Ikea, but they will be items that live within your family forever.
2) How did you start making?
I built a bed for my wife as a housewarming gift. It was a huge undertaking for a first project but 2 years later and it’s still together.
3) What inspires you as a maker?
Mostly other makers/builders. I love seeing how others are pushing boundaries and experimenting with new design and materials. I also love art, so I derive a lot of influence from artists and designers.
4) What are two things you'd like customers to know about you?
- My happy places include: The Art Institute Of Chicago, going the movies and baseball games.
- I grew up in New Jersey and moved to Chicago for art school.
5) What's a new project you're excited about?
I’m building out a new shop space right now. The idea of upgrading and expanding makes me excited to see what I will build in this new space.
6) What's on your playlist as you're creating?
Mostly podcasts. I listen to a lot of soul and funk when sanding to make it fun. No matter what anyone tells you, Sanding is the worst.
7) Let's keep it local, what Chicago restaurant do you think everyone must try?
Mango Pickle in Edgewater. I’m a baby when it comes to Spicy so Indian dishes aren’t usually my thing. But this is the best Indian food I’ve ever had.
Keep up with Keith Crawford Designs on Instagram!
Photo credits: Josh Sheldon & Keith Crawford
5743 W Irving Park Rd
Small Business Saturday Nov.24 10-7
Thanksgiving Nov.22 CLOSED
Mon Dec.17- Thu Nov.20 10-7
Mon Dec.24 10-5
Dec. 25/26 CLOSED
Sign up for our Newsletter!